CEVA Customer Case
Upgrade and Global Roll-out of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne: The Challenge
Ceva was using JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Xe in 22 countries but Oracle had announced that this version was coming to end of support. This posed risks for Ceva, particularly for IT who would no longer be able to honour its Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to the business. Being in the freight management and logistics business, service levels are critical for Ceva, which is heavily dependent on the availability and reliability of its IT systems.
A further 33 countries were using other finance systems. To add to the challenge, there were no standards for consistent businesses processes. Combined, these led to inefficiencies as some personnel had to operate two different systems and processes. It posed difficulties in consolidating and reporting on key financial data, to close the books within five days of each month end.
Ceva decided to upgrade the 22 countries running Xe to version 9.1. It was also decided that the other 33 countries that were running various other finance systems would also be migrated to the same version of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne.
Ceva spent three months planning and scoping the rollout and selecting the right partner to undertake the project. Ceva chose Quistor. Working together they spent five months to build the global template, three months to implement a new contract logistics entity and five months for a new freight entity.
A key element of this global upgrade and rollout was to standardize on all processes in all locations except where local legislation or compliance requirements necessitated local specific changes. These standards made it quicker and easier to implement each country, which typically took three to four months each but with several implementations running in parallel. The whole project to roll out to all 55 countries took just three and a half years.
What did Quistor do?
Quistor was responsible for:
- The technology migration for 22 countries from Xe to 9.1 and retrofitting customisations that would remain as part of the new standard processes
- Implementation of JD Edwards in the thirty-three countries that were not yet
using JD Edwards
- Configuration and set up of any localisations required in each country to meet legal or compliance requirements
- Data conversions
- Integration and testing
- Training – Quistor trained Ceva centrally, Ceva then provided training on the standard processes with local Quistor personnel performing localisations training
Importantly, Quistor delivered this global rollout project on time and in budget.
After go-live, Quistor provides on-going 24 * 7 support at both a functional and technical level.
Why did Ceva choose Quistor?
Quistor’s people really understand our business requirements, priorities and processes. They are a valuable extension of our own team
To achieve Ceva’s ambitious time-frame and minimize risks, Ceva needed a supplier who understood their business requirements, processes and priorities.
Quistor had been providing implementation, customization and support services to Ceva for many years and a mutual trusted and open relationship had developed between the two companies. Bringing in a new supplier without this knowledge would pose serious risks not just to the project but to Ceva’s whole business.
Quistor also had a wealth of experience from similar projects with many other customers and enjoyed an enviable reputation for the quality and reliability of its services. Quistor was the low risk solution. Other suppliers who were considered were either more expensive than Quistor or could not match Quistor’s proven, quality delivery capability.
The relations between key personnel at Ceva and Quistor date back to before the formation of each company. This has helped to develop a sound business relationship and mutual trust between the companies and the people.
CEVA Logistics makes business flow. As one of the world’s leading non-asset- based supply chain management companies, it designs and implements industry-leading solutions in both freight management and contract logistics. Over 41,000 dedicated employees, working in 17 regional clusters around the globe, deliver operational excellence – to provide viable answers to the most challenging supply chain questions.
CEVA applies its renowned operational expertise to provide best-in-class services across its integrated worldwide network, where its focus is equally on general business and the specialist needs of the automotive, consumer & retail, energy, healthcare, industrial & aerospace and technology sectors.
Our open and trusted relationship enables us to work as a team to prevent and resolve any potential issues for the benefit of our business.
The main benefits to Ceva from using Quistor’s services are:
- Quistor has built-up a solid knowledge and understanding of Ceva’s business and operational needs. Quistor is, therefore, able to contribute to Ceva’s success by making sensible and relevant suggestions regarding new functionality and technologies to meet the special needs of the business.
- Quistor had an intimate knowledge of the customizations made to E1 so was best placed to upgrade and retrofit those customisations still required to ensure they work efficiently in the new environment.
- Quistor can provide local consultants, either directly or via trusted partners, to advise and ensure Ceva complies with local legal requirements.
- An open and trusted relationship has been developed over the years with no hidden agendas that serve for the good of the business.